Do you take Consignments?

Yes! We buy used guns, take trades and will Consign your firearm. We charge a 20% Consignment fee upon the sale of the firearm.

Do you Warranty your firearms?

Second Amendment Sports, Inc. offers a Lifetime Warranty, which goes above and beyond any Manufacturer Warranty, for as long as you own that firearm. We only offer Lifetime Warranties on NEW firearms we sell. We do not Warranty used firearms, military surplus or stripped lower receivers.

What Gunsmithing Services do you offer?

We have a full-service Gunsmithing shop in our Tucson, AZ location. We can ship your firearm there to have it serviced, then returned to our location for you to pickup once the service is complete.

However, simple Armorer jobs like: sight installation or mount and boresights can be done in-house.

I need to send my gun in to the Manufacturer for Repair, How do I do that?

Please bring your unloaded firearm to any of our salesmen. If you purchased the firearm New from us, it is covered under our Lifetime Warranty. We cover all shipping and repair costs.

However, if you purchased the firearm Used or elsewhere, you may be charged freight and repair costs from the Manufacturer.

The repair turnaround varies. If a firearm is replaced, you will have to fill out a Federal Form 4473 and DROS (if in California) in order to receive the new firearm.

Do I have to fill out a Federal Form 4473 and DROS every time I buy a gun?

The short answer is, yes.

The Federal Form 4473 is a transaction record for the BATFE for firearms transferred to clients.

The Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) is a transaction record for the California DOJ for firearms transferred to clients.

We are required to complete this process to have a record of transfer for every firearm sold to a client. We know it’s painful, expensive and time consuming, but we try to make it as painless as possible.

What kind of identification do you need in order to buy a firearm?

As a California Resident, you will need a CA Real Identification Card or CA Real Driver License, or a Limited CA ID/DL along with a Supporting Document (like an Official Birth Certificate or Passport).

As an Arizona Resident, you will need a valid AZ Identification Card or Driver's License. It does not need to be a "Real ID' as in California.

What does the DOJ accept as Proof of Residency (CA ONLY)?

I am a Resident of a different State. Can I buy a gun from you?

CA Clients: While we cannot transfer a firearm directly to you through our FFL and a background check, we can sell a firearm to you and transfer it to an FFL Dealer in your own State to complete the process of transferring the firearm to you.


You simply need your valid State ID/DL with your correct residential address or a valid supporting document that the BATFE will accept, with your current and correct residential address.

What Supporting Documents do I need if my ID/DL does not have my current Residence Address?

How do I know if I am eligible to buy a firearm?

If you have anything in your past that you are afraid will haunt you and hinder you from owning a firearm – a DROS is not the way to find out. There are a couple reasons you may be Denied:
1. Do you have any money owed or issues with the DMV? Ex: unpaid tickets, registrations, etc.
2. Any violent crimes or restraining orders within their statute of limitations.
3. Any felony crimes.

The CA DOJ has an Eligibility Application, which you can fill out and send in to confirm whether you would be eligible to own a firearm before jumping through all the necessary hoops ($20):

How old do you need to be to purchase a firearm?

To purchase a handgun (pistol or revolver) or lower receiver, you must be 21 years old to purchase and complete a DROS.
To purchase a shotgun or rifle in California, you must be 21 years old. If you are 18-20 years old and have a valid CA hunting license, you may buy a rifle or shotgun and run DROS.
To purchase a shotgun or rifle in Arizona, you must be 18 years old and complete a 4473 background check.

What is an FSC (CA ONLY)?

An FSC is a Firearm Safety Certificate, which is required in order to purchase a firearm in the State of California. There are exemptions to the program, which are listed here:

How much does the FSC cost?


How do I get an FSC (CA Only)?

You must have an FSC or an FSC exemption to purchase a firearm in the State of California. We have FSC Certified Instructors on staff to help you through the testing process and will issue you an FSC on the spot. The FSC Test is short and tests your knowledge on basic firearm safety and laws. To study ahead of time, the CA DOJ has provided a study guide:

I lost my FSC. Can I get it reprinted?

Yes, for a DOJ $5 Fee. You must return to the original FFL Dealer/FSCCI in order to have an FSC reprinted.

How much does the DROS cost (CA Only)?

The DOJ doesn’t simply charge a “DROS” fee. For firearms transactions, they charge:
DOJ Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) Fee of $31.19
DOJ Safety an Enforcement Fee of $5
DOJ Firearm Safety Device fee of $1

Which makes your actual total of $37.19 per DROS.

What handguns are legal to purchase in California?

The California DOJ has a short list of what they consider legal to sell in the State of California. This is not just by firearm Make and Model, but also by Manufacturer Part Number. Before you buy anything from our Online Store or any other FFL to have transferred to us, please do your research first. The full list is here:
If you are unsure, please give us a call and we’ll be able to tell you whether or not the handgun you are interested in is legal or not in the state of California.

I waited 10 Days; can I pick up my gun?

The DOJ typically only contacts us if a client is Delayed or Denied. If not, firearm transactions are typically moved to a “Proceed” resolution after the statutory 10 day wait. In a typical environment, we operate under a “no news is good news,” and you’re good to come in and pick up your firearm.

I was Delayed. Now what?

CA Clients: The DOJ has up to 30 days to research your information. Typically, they’ll either find a resolution of “Proceed,” “Denied/Rejected” or “Undetermined.” We cannot do move forward in any direction until the DOJ issues one of these resolutions. If you have any questions, our A&D Department is always willing to help. If the DOJ reaches a “Proceed” or “Undetermined” resolution, we will release the firearm to you at that time. If you have been Denied or Rejected and do not feel that the resolution is correct, the DOJ will provide to you an option to Appeal their decision.

AZ Clients: If you have been delayed and we have not received a resolution in 10 calendar days from FBI NICS, we will transfer the firearm to you after the 10th day.

What is an Ammo Background check (CA Only)?

Effective July 1, 2019, the California DOJ began requiring that ammunition purchases were to undergo an “eligibility check.” It’s a background check that you must complete before the purchase of ammunition, every time. For the DOJ’s full information on the program, please see here:

How much does the Ammo Background Check cost?

If you have purchased ammunition since the DOJ started this process on July 1, 2019, the background check costs $1 and usually only takes a couple minutes in the DOJ’s Automated Firearm System (AFS).

If you have not purchased a firearm or ammunition in recent history, the eligibility check may take days to process and will cost $19, as a DOJ Fee.

What identification do I need for an Ammo Background Check (CA Only)?

Same as a firearm transfer, you will need a CA ID/DL, preferably a Real ID/DL. If you do not have a Real ID/DL, you will be required to provide a supporting document for your name. Ex: Official Birth Certificate, Valid Passport, etc. Please see the full list from the DOJ’s website here:


What capacity magazine can I have in my rifle?

That depends on the rifle. If your rifle is a semi-automatic, self-loading, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine, then CA law dictates that you cannot have a magazine that will accept more than 10 rounds.
If you have a semi-automatic, self-loading, centerfire rifle that can legally accept detachable magazines, a rimfire rifle, or any manually operated rifle, you can use whatever magazines you are legally in possession of.

What is an Assault Weapon?

CA recognizes 3 categories of “Assault Weapons”
Category 1 were firearms banned in 1989 under the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act.
Category 2 were firearms banned in 2000 as AR/AK type named in the Kasler v. Lockyer case.
Firearms named in Category 1 or 2 are considered assault weapons weather they have the features named in
Category 3 or not.
Category 3 were firearms banned in 2000 based on features identified in Senate Bill 23.  Those firearms and features are:
1. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable
magazine and any one of the following:
A. A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the
B. A thumbhole stock.
C. A folding or telescoping stock.
D. A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
E. A flash suppressor.
F. A forward pistol grip.
2. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to
accept more than 10 rounds.
3. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
4. A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine
and any one of the following:
A. A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward
handgrip, or silencer.
B. (B) A second handgrip.
C. A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel
that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand,
except a slide that encloses the barrel.
D. The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of
the pistol grip.
5. A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept
more than 10 rounds.
6. A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
A. A folding or telescoping stock.
B. A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the
weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
7. A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
8. Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
The most complete and up to date (November 2001 with a 2017 revision advertised to be released in the near
future…) assault weapon identification guide is available here:

A family member passed away and left me some firearms. How do I register them?

As long as the firearms are legal to own in the state of California, you can fill out a Voluntary Registration form and mail it to the DOJ (along with a nominal fee of $19, of course):

What is a Private Party Transfer?

CA Clients: A Private Party Transfer is when an individual transfers/sells her own property to another individual. While it is illegal in other states for the government to involve themselves in your personal property, the State of California likes to get their money out of that one as well. If you plan on selling a firearm, and have a buyer, both individuals must go to a licensed FFL Dealer to complete the transfer and pay the DROS fee. Both must have proper identification to complete the process and the Buyer will have an FSC or FSC exemption, and wait the statutory 10 day wait in order to pick up the firearm(s). The Seller only needs to be present to start the process. The Seller does not need to be present when the Buyer picks up the firearm(s).

AZ Clients: Great news! You get to disregard all that CA mumbo-jumbo. It is illegal in the State of Arizona for the government to contract any fees on your personal property, ie. Private Party Sales. You do NOT come in to a licensed FFL to complete a background check. It is actual illegal for us to do one for you. If you choose to sell your property privately, we simply suggest that you create a Bill of Sale for your records and take a picture of the Buyer’s ID/DL for your records. If you choose to submit their information to a third party background check operation, that is between you and the Buyer. There is not a law mandating it.

How much does a Private Party Transfer cost?

The DOJ charges:
DOJ Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) fee of $31.19
DOJ Safety and Enforcement fee of $5
DOJ Firearm Safety Device fee of $1

DOJ Private Party Transfer fee of $10

for a Total of $47.19

and a Private Party Transfer fee of $10 for each subsequent firearm.

I'm LEO and would like to waive the 10 day wait. What do I need?

In order to waive the statutory 10 day waiting period for firearm transfers, the DOJ requires a letter with specific verbiage to be provided at the time of running the DROS. Please see here for their requirements:

We also provide a standard, blank letter for our LEO clients to use as a reference. If you would like a copy, please contact us.

I'm active Duty Military, stationed in California/Arizona, What do I need to purchase a firearm?

If you do not have a Valid State ID/DL or Real CA ID/DL, you may still purchase a firearm using your Military Identification Card, along with a copy of your Permanent Change of Station Duty Orders. These cannot be web orders, but original version detailing your “Assigned to” location within the state of California.


I'm a Permanent Resident with a Green Card. Can I buy a firearm?

Yes, you can! Please bring your Resident Alien Identification Card along with your CA ID/DL or CA Real ID/DL to purchase a firearm. Please note that your full name must match on all identification, including first, middle and last name order.

I'm a Non-Resident with an I-94 Number. Can I buy a firearm?

Yes, you can!
If you are a resident of a country participating in the Visa Waiver Program, you simply must provide:
1. California ID/DL (with supporting document) or California Real ID/DL
2. Documentation with your I-94 Number in order to purchase a firearm. This may be a web print out, stamped or printed with your passport or an actual I-94 Card. Any document that has printed “I-94” on it is acceptable.
3. A Valid Hunting License

I bought a firearm from another business to pick up at SAS; how do I set that up?

If you purchased a firearm elsewhere and would like to transfer it to us to complete the paperwork process, please see more information here to set that up:
Bakersfield, CA – Mohawk St. Location:
Bakersfield, CA – Jomani Dr. Location:
Palm Desert, CA Location:
Tucson, AZ Location:




How do I know what is legal in California?

You must confirm that a firearm is legal to own before purchasing it. Please either contact us or confirm a handgun is on the DOJ’s Roster of Approved Handguns Certified to Sell, here:

Depending on the rifle, you may have a “Large Capacity Magazine.” Please call to confirm whether or not a rifle or magazine is an issue.

How long until I can pick up my order?

After placing an order online, you will receive an order confirmation email from From the date of that email, an order typically takes about 14 days to process and receive. As stated on the website, the online store is not in-store merchandise. Our online store inventory comes from our distributors.  If there are any issues or delays with the order, you will be contacted by email or by phone. Once we receive your order, we will call you at the phone number you provided.


If you ordered a firearm, we cannot begin the DROS/NICS process until we receive the physical firearm. Once we receive it, we will contact you. You may then come in and begin the DROS/NICS process, which will start your 10 day statutory wait if you reside in California.

Can I ship firearms and ammo directly to my house?

No, firearms and ammunition are received at our physical store so you may begin the legal process of eligibility checks and transfer.