At Second Amendment Sports, we know how difficult it can feel sometimes when trying to purchase a firearm. All the in’s and out’s and hoops to jump through when dealing with the ATF and/or DOJ can seem never ending. But we appreciate your business and we want to make it easier on you by providing a step-by-step to the process so you know exactly what to expect on your next visit.

For California Residents:

To purchase a firearm, you must have:

Goes Before #1wr

1. A valid California photo Identification Card*, Driver’s License*, or Military Identification Card. If you are using a Military ID, you must bring your Permanent Change of Station Duty Orders (PCS) as well.

*As of 5/2019, the California DOJ began requiring either a “Real ID/DL,” or a “Federal Limits Apply ID/DL” with supporting documentation. How do you know which ID/DL you have? Look at the top right corner of your ID/DL for the fine print. If your ID/DL states “Federal Limits Apply,” you will be required to supply supporting documentation to receive your firearm:








What kind of supporting documentation does the DOJ require? 
The most common forms are: Certified Birth Certificate, Current Passport or Passport Card or Permanent Resident Card.

If your current ID/DL does not match the documents (ex: name change through marriage), you will need to provide official proof to that effect.
If you have two surnames on a Permanent Resident Card, the names and order must match the ID/DL. If they do not, the DOJ will not accept them for processing. Spelling is also crucial; ex: if your given name is “Robert Smith,” but your DL has “Bob Smith,” the DOJ will not accept them for processing. You will have to get a new ID/DL with your legal, matching name.
If you have any questions, please ask our staff before processing paperwork, as it may take time to gather the appropriate documents.

Goes inbetween #1-#2wr

2.  Valid Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) of Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) or proof of exemption. If you are unsure if you have an exemption to the DOJ’s requirement, please look through list below:

X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder

X02 = Operation of Law Representative

X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner

X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)

X21 = Military – Active Duty

X22 = Military – Reserve

X25 = Military – Honorably Retired

X31 = Peace Officer – California – Active

X32 = Peace Officer – Federal – Active

X33 = Peace Officer – California – Honorably Retired

X34 = Peace Officer – California – Reserve

X35 = Peace Officer – Federal – Honorably Retired

X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder

X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training

X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers

X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

X98 = Valid Hunting License (long guns only)

X99 = DOJ Certified Instructor

If you do not have an FSC (or still valid HSC, for Handgun purchases only), you must take a 30 question, multiple choice test. To study beforehand, please follow this link to the DOJ’s website:

The test can be taken the same day of purchasing your firearm at any of our California locations. If you pass the test, you will be issued an FSC immediately.

Goes right before #3wr

3.  The DOJ charges flat rates for the FSC and DROS, which we in turn charge you:

The FSC is $25.

The DROS (Dealer Record of Sale) is $37.19.

Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS) Fee $31.19
Firearms Safety & Enforcement Fee $5.00
Firearm Safety Fee $1.00

Second Amendment Sports, Inc. accepts Cash, Check, Visa, Discover and MasterCard.

Along with your ID/CDL and FSC, HSC or Exemption, you will be required to complete the following steps:

4.  After purchasing your firearm, you must complete a “Safe Handling Demonstration” with the firearm (unless you have an FSC exemption), per the California DOJ. You must do this for every firearm you purchase. During the demonstration, you will use a “dummy round” to prove you can safely load, unload and chamber check the firearm. Our Salesman will walk you through the demonstration step by step, and will answer any questions you have.

Right after #4wr

5.  Now comes the easy part! Our Salesman will take you to our A&D/DROS office to fill out the Federal Form 4473. We do this for your comfort and security, away from the busy atmosphere of the Sales Floor.

Right after #5wr

6.  Our A&D Clerk will then take the information you provided and enter it in to the DOJ’s DROS Entry System, thus beginning your statutory 10-day wait. You must do this for every firearm purchase. The 10-day wait begins as soon as we submit your information to the DOJ, including all calendar days and holidays and will conclude down to the very minute, ten days later. We will give you a copy of the DROS with the date and time you may pick up your firearm(s).

We will contact you by the phone number you provide when filling out your paperwork if your transaction is either Delayed or Denied by the DOJ. If you do not hear from us during your 10-day wait, your transaction has been approved by the DOJ, meaning you may pick up your firearm.

Reasons you may not be able to pick up your firearm:

  1. Delayed: The DOJ is allowed 30 days to further review your background. At the end of that time, if no resolution has been found, it is up to our discretion to release the firearm to our client.
  2. DMV Rejection: Believe it or not, if you have anything pending with the DMV, your firearm transaction will be denied. This may include, but is not limited to parking tickets, warrants, expired registration, any fees, etc.
  3. Purchaser Prohibited or Denied: The DOJ has found something during the course of their background check which will deny the firearm transaction. If you believe they are incorrect, you have the right to appeal the decision.

If you are Active Law Enforcement, you have some perks! While civilians must wait 30 days between each Handgun DROS, you can DROS as many handguns as you like without a waiting period. Also, you have an exemption to the 10-day wait with an approved letter from the head of your agency, on agency letterhead. This letter must be written within 30 days of DROS submission and have a wet ink signature. We have provided a template here with all the information required:

Goes right before #7wr

7.  A couple requirements to remember, which may or may not apply to you and your upcoming purchase:

  1. California DOJ requires all handgun purchases include a copy of “Proof of Residency.” We will remind you of this at time of DROS but you will not be required to provide it until you pick up your firearm. Examples:
    1. Utility bill (IE: water, gas, or a LAND based telephone or cable bill)
    2. Property deed. Must have current street address on document, not lot and tract descriptions.
    3. Government issued LICENSE (ie Consumer Affairs, Pilot, Doctor so long as it has name, address and valid), PERMIT, OR REGISTRATION (City, County, State, or Federal) that has a specified expiration date or period of validity.
      1. (IE: VALID vehicle registration, CCW) Note: California Driver License or California Identification Card are not proofs of residency
    4. A residential lease/rental agreement between two individuals, or on company letterhead with a begin and end date. This lease must be signed and dated by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specific monetary amount or trade some type of manual labor to occupy an abode.
    5. CCW.
    6. Valid California auto registration.
    7. Bureau of investigative services/Consumer affairs “limited licenses”.
  2. Proof of Residency must be dated within 90 days of picking up your handgun, include the zip code and may not be a cell phone bill, bank statement, etc.
  3. All Law Enforcement clients (active and retired) are exempt from this requirement.

8.  If your ID/CDL has a PO Box or does not have your current residential address on it, or if you are Active Military purchasing a firearm using your Military ID and PCS Orders, you must provide an Alternative Proof of Residency per the ATF. Again, we will remind you of it at time of DROS but you do not have to provide anything until you pick up your firearm. Examples:

  1. California DMV printout (H6) with complete, current physical address (including zip code).
  2. California Hunting License or California Fishing License. (1yr, not 1 day)
  3. Any government issued document that shows current physical address. (city, county, state or federal)
  4. Jury summons.
  5. Court issued” Notice to Appear”.
  6. CCW.
  7. Valid California auto registration.
  8. Bureau of investigative services/Consumer affairs “limited licenses”.

9. As of January 01, 2019, new California Law SB1100 went into effect, which essentially prohibits the sale and/or transfer of any Rifles or Shotguns to any person younger than 21 years of age. There is a little silver lining though, in that there are some limited exemptions to the law! If you are under 21 years of age and meet any of the exemptions below, you may purchase or transfer a firearm.
1. Possess a valid, unexpired hunting license issued by the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
2. Is an active peace officer, as described in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with section 830) of Title 3 Part 2 of the Penal Code, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her employment.
3. Is a reserve peace officer, as defined in section 832.6 of the Penal Code, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her employment as a reserve peace officer.
4. Is an active federal officer or law enforcement agent who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her employment.
5. Is an active or honorably discharged member of the United States Armed Forces, the National Guard, the Air National Guard or active reserve components of the United States.

As in all things pertaining to a firearm purchase, you must provide proof of these exemptions, whether by license or ID, at the time you initiate the DROS.

These exemptions only apply to persons under 21 years of age when buying a Rifle or Shotgun. You must still be 21 years of age to purchase Pistols, Revolvers or lower Receivers. There are no exemptions to those firearm types.